A Malaysian mother’s tragic loss couldn’t have come more unexpectedly after her son died from an apparent electrocution.

Prompted by instinctive unease, Mohd Zahrin’s mother returned home at lunchtime on Dec. 3 during her factory shift to see him.

“While at work, she felt uneasy and decided to return home to check on her son,” District police chief Deputy Superintendent Anuar Salam told The New Straits Times.

There was no sign of injury other than bleeding from his left ear. “The victim was wearing an ‘earphone’ and his adjacent cell phone was charging,” Salam said. “Further examination found that the teenager had died.”

A medical officer who was rushed to the home said that Zahrin had died that morning. The coroner later confirmed that the Malaysian teenager had died of electrocution.

Graphic photographs circulated locally on social media show blood coming from Zahrin’s ear, which appears to be blackened. In one image, an earphone bud is blackened on one side.

Zahrin lived in the Rembau district in the south of the country, about 50 miles south of Kuala Lumpur.

 

Salam confirmed that there was a “burning effect in his left ear,” reported Utusan. 

 

When one of his brothers later went to turn off the charging cable, it gave him a small shock, according to reports.

Zaharin was described as a cheerful and friendly student and was much liked, according to his schoolmates.

“Although he’s a form four student, but he’s very close to junior students, he likes to joke and tease us,” one of them told Kosomo.

A family member, who asked not to be named, told BH, “He often cooked for his mother and brother during school holidays and the night before the incident he had asked his mother to come home for lunch together. We are very sad with his departure.”

Last year, in Vietnam, another teenager was reportedly killed by a faulty cable that was charging her phone on her bed as she slept.

Le Thi Xoan, 14, was found by her parents lying on her bed unconscious in November last year, The Sun reported. Her parents rushed her to a local hospital but doctors were unable to revive her.

An Alabama man narrowly escaped death while he was sleeping with his phone on charge in his bed.

He told ABC 13 that he fell asleep in his bed while wearing his dog tag around his neck. However, the dog tag fell between the charger and the extension cord, turning his necklace into a conductor.

Wiley Day suffered second and third-degree burns on his neck and hands, the news outlet reported.

Published with permission from The Epoch Times

Share

Featured Videos

Ad will display in 09 seconds