The theme for this year’s environment day was “Beat plastic pollution”. The Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India (BPPI) in association with the department of pharmaceuticals, keeping up with the theme and taking a step forward in saving the environment launched Jan Aushadhi Suvidha low-cost biodegradable sanitary pads.

Credit: Twitter. Janaushadhi Suvidha Sanitary, a hygienic, eco-friendly & affordable Napkin

According to Times of India, the launch took place in the presence of 200 girls from 5 different schools. The pads contain a special additive which makes it oxo-biodegradable when exposed to sun and air. These pads start to decompose within six months compared to the non-biodegradable napkins which take 500 years to start degrading.

Union minister for chemicals and fertilizers, Ananth Kumar told TOI, “In India, only 48% of women use sanitary napkins, as the remaining 52% are unable to afford them. This has been done to ensure swachhata, swasthya and suvidha (hygiene, health, and convenience) for unprivileged women like garment workers and daily wage workers”.

Credit: Twitter. “Over 355 million menstruating women in #India out of which millions still face significant barriers during menstruation”

According to a statement released by Press Information Bureau, Union Minister of State for Chemicals & Fertilizers, Road Transport & Highways, Shipping, Shri Mansukh L. Mandaviya, said that this is one of the most important requirements in ensuring the Health Security to that section of Women in India who still use unhygienic aids during menstrual period due to non-affordability of some of the popular brands of sanitary napkins available in the market today. Such unhygienic aids cause fungal infections, Reproductive Tract Infection, Urinary Tract Infection, Cervical cancer and also make women vulnerable to infertility.

The government has taken a step in providing healthier and affordable sanitary napkins for all women, especially for the ones who have been using unsanitary ways to deal with menstruation period.

 

Share

Featured Videos

Ad will display in 09 seconds